A nip and tuck for Volvo’s XC40 range
The Volvo XC40 is the latest model within the Swedish product portfolio to get into the surgeon’s room for a nip and tuck for the 2023 model year.
The refresh also brings a new trim-level structure as the brand electrifies its XC40 lineup. The hybridised variants adopt the B nomenclature. On the other hand, the fully-electric models continue to carry the P badges.
The hybrid variants consist of the B3, B4 and B5. They all pair a 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine with a 48-volt hybrid system and an 8-speed automatic transmission. With the setup, the B3 produces 110 kW and 265 Nm of torque sent to the front axle, while the B4 has a similar format but with 145 kW and 300 Nm of torque.
The B5 pumps out 183 kW and 350 Nm sent entirely to all four wheels.
Aesthetically, the updated XC40 range gets new front and rear bumpers, reworked headlights, new alloy wheel designs, and a fresh exterior colour palette. Exclusive to the fully-electric P6 and P8 variants is the optional black roof. Buyers can also add unique appeal in bright and dark detailing, adding chrome and gloss-black treatment to the exterior bits and pieces.
The inside boasts subtle changes in the form of a new range-wide Android-powered infotainment system that houses built-in Google apps and services.
Also, Volvo has done away with the Momentum, Inscription, and R-Design trim levels for Essential, Plus and Ultimate, with PHEV and BEV powerplants only available with the latter two trims.
- XC40 B3 Essential: R667,500
- XC40 B4 Essential: R708,100
- XC40 B3 Plus Dark: R718,200
- XC40 B3 Plus Bright: R726,600
- XC40 B3 Ultimate Dark: R741,200
- XC40 B3 Ultimate Bright: R749,600
- XC40 B4 Plus Dark: R758,900
- XC40 B4 Plus Bright R767,100
- XC40 B4 Ultimate Dark: R781,800
- XC40 B4 Ultimate Bright: R790,100
- XC40 B5 AWD Plus Dark: R829,200
- XC40 B5 AWD Plus Bright: R836,700
- XC40 B5 AWD Ultimate Dark: R851,300
- XC40 B5 AWD Ultimate Bright: R859,700
- XC40 P6 Recharge Plus: R1,075,000
- XC40 P8 Recharge Ultimate: R1,260,000